Thursday, September 15, 2011

WANT TO?


Each and every off-season workout, you have a choice to make. You can choose to work hard or you can choose not to work hard. Not working hard is a choice. You are 100%in control of the effort you put forth. For this off-season to be as productive as possible, you need to choose to work hard all of the time!

You need to choose to have a strong ‘want to.’ I want to jump higher or I want to start on varsity next season. Most player’s ‘want to’ is just lip service. They say they want something but they don’t make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen.


Think your ‘want to’ is strong? Let’s say your goal is to gain 10 lbs. this off-season. If I weighed you on May 1st and told you on September 1st I would weigh you again, and if you were 10 lbs. heavier I would give you $1,000,000 cash, would you accept my offer? Of course you would! Think you would achieve your goal? I guarantee you would. You would be so focused and determined you would probably gain 15 lbs. Your ‘want to’ would be unstoppable!

To maximize your off-season you need to find a way to tap into your ‘want to’ with that type of conviction (even though there isn’t a million dollar prize involved).

Too often players’ ‘want to’ gets weakened by the little voice in their head that says…

"I don’t ‘want to’ work out today. I will get up extra shots tomorrow. I will lift weights tomorrow.”

If you let that little voice win, your ‘want to’ is weak. If you let that little voice win, you won’t be successful.

How strong is your ‘want to’?

Strengthening your ‘want to’ is not easy. It is OK if you need some help. In fact, I recommend you get some help. Find someone who pushes you to be the best you can be. Someone that holds you accountable. Someone that motivates you, inspires you, and encourages you. Someone that tells you what you need to hear; not what you want to hear. Someone that gives you energy. Someone who supports and strengthens your ‘want to’.



Do you have a person like this in your life?

No comments: