Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The POWER of POSITIVE! Self Talk

The running dialogue you have going on in your head (even when you aren't reading) is called your "self talk." In fact, although you have thoughts you can't fully express verbally, you could say that thinking is talking to yourslef. Thus, you do it all the time.

What do you say when you talk to yourself about your ability to play baseball? Remember that what you think often determines how you play. Your thinking consists of your self-talk, along with your imagery. Thus, the words you say to yourself impact how confident you feel, making self-talk a pretty important topic.

We are not always aware of what we are saying to ourselves. That's a good thing because if we were aware all of the time we'd go crazy. However, this is also dangerous because you may be trash talking yourself by saying "I stink," "I can't hit," or "I may never get anyone out" but you aren't aware that you are doing it, you won't tell yourself to stop saying it!

Because of all the failure that is built into baseball, alot of players spend a great deal of time talking negatively to themselves. Your self-talk is something you need to be aware of, at least to some degree. Most important though, make sure you choose to talk to yourself in an encouraging, confidence-enhancing way. In short, talk to yourself the way you'd talk to your best friend.

HOW TO USE SELF-TALK TO ENHANCE YOUR PERFORMANCE

Figure out what you are saying to yourself when playing your best baseball will help you use self-talk to your best advantage. Say that to yourself whether you feel that way or not.
Here are a few examples of self-talk statements you can repeat to yourself anytime:

General:
-"I am totally focused on each pitch"
-"I have paid the dues and I am trusting my ability."
-"It is my time."

Hitting:
-"Hit it hard"
-"Attack the ball"
-"Be aggressive"
-"Use the whole field"
-"See the ball"

Pitching:
-"The ball is going right there."
-"I'm the man."
-"Let it go."
-"Focus on the target, hit the target."

Fielding:
-"Hit it to me."
-"I can make any play."
-"Stay down."
-"Quick as a cat."

Info taken from Heads-Up Baseball

No comments: